BC Rugby is delighted to announce the BC Bears U18 Elite Girls 7s squad heading to the 2022 World School Sevens in New Zealand this December.
The World School Sevens will be held at Auckland’s Pakuranga Rugby Club on December 17-18, 2022 and gives U18 Boys and Girls teams from around the world an opportunity to showcase their talents and compete at a high-level event on the global stage.
Players, Coaches, and management attending the tournament will soak in a week of cultural events, an official welcome and warm-up games ahead of the two-day competition.
EXCITING TEAM HEADING TO NEW ZEALAND
BC Rugby can confirm the 12 athletes plus one travelling reserve heading to New Zealand to represent the BC Bears U18 Elite Girls 7s:
- Adia Pye – Castaway Wanderers – Victoria
- Anya Prokopich – Bayside RFC – South Surrey
- Ava Ference – Shawnigan Lake/Cowichan RFC – Alberta/Shawnigan Lake
- Elle Douglas – Cowichan RFC – Saskatchewan/Duncan
- Grace Turner – Williams Lake Rustlers RFC/UBC – Williams Lake
- Hailey Hibbs – Langley RFC – Langley
- Katie Foss – Langley RFC – Langley
- Lana Dueck – Abbotsford RFC – Abbotsford
- Lucie Romeo – Abbotsford RFC/UVic – Abbotsford
- Sienna Stigant – CV Rapids Rugby – Courtney
- Skye Farish – Castaway Wanderers – Victoria
- Tia Jordo – Kelowna Crows RFC/UBC – Kelowna
- Travelling Reserve: Brooklyn Roddham – Langley RFC – Langley
BC Bears U18 Elite Girls 7s will be coached by Darcy Patterson, who is incredibly excited to lead this team to Auckland, alongside Canadian 2020 Olympic athlete Kaili Lukan and Team Therapist Naomi Ogawa.
“We are really excited and grateful to have the opportunity to go to New Zealand and challenge ourselves against some new competition. When we attended this tournament previously it was one of the best experiences from a tournament, cultural and challenge piece. This team welcomes back nine athletes who represented Team BC at the Canada Summer Games, who are all determined to continue challenging and developing themselves after a 6-0 record in Niagara.” BC Bears Elite Girls 7s Coach Darcy Patterson
The selection process for the BC Bears U18 Elite Girls 7s team was very competitive and took into account key events throughout the BC Rugby season, including the 2022 Provincial Regional Championships (PRCs), BC Summer Games, 2022 Western Canadian Championships and the 2022 Canada Summer Games.
ABOUT THE WORLD SCHOOL SEVENS
The World Schools is an international U18 Sevens Rugby event that has been in existence since 2016. It has featured over one hundred teams over the last six years including teams from USA, Canada, Japan, Fiji, Australia, and New Zealand. The tournament features national representative teams and composite teams including New Zealand Tongans, New Zealand Samoans, and NZ Niue.
The vision of the tournament is to deliver a high-level professional event that provides the players, coaches, and management with a life changing experience in New Zealand and provides an opportunity for the players to showcase their talents on a global stage.