In the year of the Women’s Rugby World Cup, we want to see more girls under the age of 14 having fun and playing Rugby at Clubs throughout BC.
This age range is traditionally dominated by male players and we aim to readdress this balance and encourage more girls-only programming offered by Clubs going forward.
Girls Can Rugby Day events will take place at the following Clubs on March 6:
- Axemen Rugby Club (Squamish/Whistler)
- Bayside Sharks RFC (Surrey)
- Britannia Lions (Delta)
- Campbell River Rugby Club (Campbell River)
- Capilano RFC (West Vancouver)
- Cowichan Rugby Football Club (Duncan)
- James Bay Athletic Association (Victoria)
- Kelowna Crows Athletic Society (Kelowna)
- Langley Rugby Club (Langley)
- Meraloma Rugby Club (Vancouver)
- Peace Rugby (Fort St John)
- Prince George Youth Rugby Association (Prince George)
- Scribes RFC (Vancouver)
- United Rugby Club (Coquitlam)
- Vancouver Thunderbirds (Vancouver)
- Westshore Rugby Club (Victoria)
- Williams Lake Rugby Club (Williams Lake)
Elk Valley RFC (Fernie) will be hosting a Girls Can Rugby Day on April 23 at 10:00am-12:-00pm, due to snow in the area.
BC Rugby gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Province of British Columbia through the Ministry of Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport in launching the Girls Can Rugby initiative.
“The empowerment of girls at our Club and within our community is important, as this is a challenging time for girls of that age. They are easily drawn away from sport at a time when they are most vulnerable and would benefit from the camaraderie and support of a team sport and the community of a Rugby Club.” Langley Rugby Club’s Leah Corvec
“Team sports in general are the best way to making new friends, they also help improve your social skills, such as communication. Unlike several other sports, Rugby is a sport without boundaries, there isn’t a correct size, a minimum speed or weight, there’s a place for everyone to be involved and to have fun” Axemen Rugby Club’s James Butterworth
For more information on Girls Can Rugby and the Clubs running a Girls Can Rugby Day please visit the Girls Can Rugby page.