Squads have been confirmed for what will be an exciting Game 1 of the BC Rugby Senior Women’s Blue vs. Gold Series this Saturday, May 20!
Watch some of BC’s best Senior Women’s Rugby talent in Victoria as the Island Blues hosts the Mainland Golds in the opening game, with action kicking off at 1:00pm PST at the University of Victoria’s Wallace Field.
There will be some exceptional talent on show in Victoria: many athletes featured for BC Rugby Clubs throughout the 2022/23 season and played at the recent 2023 BC Rugby Senior Club Finals, while there are also athletes with national level experience for Rugby Canada.
The teams will then head to the Mainland for Game 2 as the Golds host the Blues at UBC’s Vancouver campus on Saturday, June 3.
Both matches are free and open to the public to watch – so don’t miss out on watching BC’s top Rugby talent in action!
Game 1 Details:
Date: Saturday May 20
Time: 1:00pm PST
Location: University of Victoria – Wallace Field (McKenzie Avenue)
Blues Head Coach Albert Michau has named a strong Island squad that boasts experience and skill.
Westshore RFC’s contingent in Chelsey Minter, Britt Sims, Zoe Williams, Courtney Sims, Soleil Brooks Emily Findlay and Hadley MacPherson will be out to impress after they featured in the BC Rugby Women’s Premier League Final in April.
Cowichan RFC and Rugby Canada’s Tyson Beukeboom will look to command the second row alongside Castaway Wanderers RFC’s Chanelle Challenger-Edwards.
Fellow Castaway athletes Julia Schell, Emily Samek, Avery Champion and Lucy Beauchemin all reached the BC Rugby Women’s Premier League semi-finals this year.
Nanaimo Hornets RFC has one representative in Mack Wilson, who enjoyed BC Rugby Women’s Division 2 Championship success this year, while James Bay AA also has representation in Sarina Brooks.
- Chelsey Minter – Westshore RFC
- Britt Sims – Westshore RFC
- Zoe Williams – Westshore RFC
- Tyson Beukeboom – Cowichan RFC
- Chanelle Challenger-Edwards – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Madison Jumeau – Non-Affiliated
- Courtney Sims – Westshore RFC
- Marina Skakun – Non-Affiliated
- Kira Peary – Non-Affiliated
- Julia Schell – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Danika Pedrick – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Maggie MacKinnon – Non-Affiliated
- Alexie Pusch – Non-Affiliated
- Maelle Reed – Non-Affiliated
- Emily Samek – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Morgan Warner – Non-Affiliated
- Soleil Brooks – Westshore RFC
- Quinn Murphy – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Avery Champion – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Maxine O’Leary – Non-Affiliated
- Sarina Brooks – James Bay AA
- Emily Findlay – Westshore RFC
- Lucy Beauchemin – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Mack Wilson – Nanaimo Hornets RFC
- Hadley MacPherson – Westshore RFC
Head Coach Dean Murten has built the Mainland Golds team around the back-to-back BC Rugby Women’s Premier League champions Vancouver Thunderbirds, who lifted the Gordon Harris Memorial Cup in 2022 and 2023.
Sasha Oreskovich, Rori Wood, Rachel Smith, Jordan McLeod, Lyric Atchison, Alayna Scramstad, Savannah Bauder, Robyn Alexander, Shoshanah Seumanutafa, Payton McNeill, Nicole Simoneau all featured in UBC’s Championship win over Westshore RFC on April 29.
Capilano RFC and Rugby Canada’s Gillian Boag starts in the front row, with Capilano club-mates Teya Ashworth (second row) and Danielle Ferns (fullback) also named in the starting XV. Melissa Robinson and Catrina Thompson, also of Capilano RFC, are among the replacements.
Burnaby Lake RFC has two starting representatives in Chelsea Rodgers (blindside flanker) and Miriama Naiobasali (outside centre), with Tess Woldring and Jess Walrond on the bench.
There is representation for BC Rugby Women’s Division 1 winners Meraloma RFC in Cassidy Gale (right wing) and substitutes Stacey Warner, Gemma McCutcheon and Deanna Cvitanovich, who all featured in the recent championship win over Abbotsford RFC.
- Sasha Oreskovich – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Gillian Boag – Capilano RFC
- Rori Wood – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Rachel Smith – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Teya Ashworth – Capilano RFC
- Chelsea Rodgers – Burnaby Lake RFC
- Jordan McLeod – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Lyric Atchison – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Alayna Scramstad – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Savannah Bauder – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Robyn Alexander – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Shoshanah Seumanutafa – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Miriama Naiobasali – Burnaby Lake RFC
- Cassidy Gale – Meraloma RFC
- Danielle Fearns – Capilano RFC
- Payton McNeill – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Stacey Warner – Meraloma RFC
- Melissa Robinson – Capilano RFC
- Nicole Simoneau – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)
- Gemma McCutcheon – Meraloma RFC
- Tess Woldring – Burnaby Lake RFC
- Deanna Cvitanovich – Meraloma RFC
- Catrina Thompson – Capilano RFC
- Jess Walrond – Burnaby Lake RFC
- Gracie McAllister – Vancouver Thunderbirds (UBC)