Here’s how you can watch the Canada Men’s Sevens Team in action as the 2023 HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series kicks off in Hong Kong this weekend!
Five BC athletes have been named in Head Coach Henry Paul’s squad, including Olympian pairing Jake Thiel (Victoria, BC – James Bay AA) and Phil Berna (Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Rowing Club).
Anton Ngongo (Victoria, BC – Castaway Wanderers), Elias Ergas (Vancouver, BC – UBC Thunderbirds) and Lachlan Kratz (Victoria, BC – Castaway Wanderers/NOLA Gold) also make the trip to Hong Kong.
Taking place from November 4-6, the Hong Kong event is one of the most iconic events for Rugby sevens and returns to the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series calendar after a three-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The tournament will welcome the best 16 men’s sevens teams in the world playing in front of more than 34,000 local fans.
“The team and I are very excited to begin competing again and it’s fantastic that the 2022-2023 World Series kicks off in Hong Kong. Last season, as a group we felt that we weren’t as sharp in our game management around the opportunities we created, it’s definitely an area we’re looking to improve upon. There is plenty of growth and development still to come within our squad which only formed in the last year and a half after the Tokyo Olympics. Our squad have been diligent in their preparation in one of the shortest off-seasons we’ve experienced. We know how tough our oppositions will be in pool play and we respect them immensely. We can’t wait to get out on the pitch and play our hearts out for Canada.” Canada Men’s Sevens Head Coach Henry Paul
Kal Sager, the only new player on the roster for Hong Kong, joins the squad from Rugby Canada’s Pacific Pride program and competed with the BC Men’s 7s team at the Rugby Town 7s competition in Denver last August. Sager, from Peterborough, Ontario, spent time playing with his home club the Peterborough Pagans before moving on to play at Trent University.
Canada is scheduled to face Argentina, Ireland and Kenya during pool play which begins Friday November 4 at 12:40am PT. Canada’s first game against Argentina will kick off at 1:04am PT.
Broadcast coverage of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series will be available in Canada via CBC. All events are available to live stream via cbcsports.ca, the CBC Sports app and the free CBC Gem streaming service.
CANADA MEN’S SEVENS TEAM FOR 2023 HSBC HONG KONG SEVENS
1. Anton Ngongo (Victoria, BC) – Castaway Wanderers
2. Jake Thiel (Victoria, BC) – James Bay AA
3. D’Shawn Bowen (Toronto, ON) – Pacific Pride
4. Phil Berna (Vancouver, BC) – Vancouver Rowing Club
5. Alex Russell (Chichester, ENG) – McGill University
6. Josiah Morra (Toronto, ON) – Castaway Wanderers / Toronto Saracens
7. Brock Webster (Uxbridge, ON) – Oshawa Vikings RFC
8. Elias Ergas (Vancouver, BC) – University of British Columbia
9. David Richard (Milton, ON) – Mississauga Blues RFC
10. Matthew Oworu (Calgary, AB) – Pacific Pride
11. Thomas Isherwood (Okotoks, AB) – Foothills Lions RFC
12. Kal Sager (Peterborough, ON) – Peterborough Pagans / Trent University
13. Lachlan Kratz (Victoria, BC) – Castaway Wanderers / NOLA Gold