BC Rugby is delighted to announce applications are now open for elementary and middle schools to receive non-contact Rugby programming delivered by certified, experienced Rugby Coaches directly linked to local Rugby Clubs in BC, with the aim of introducing students to a new sport that is offered in their local area.
Programming will take place in either Fall 2022 or Spring 2023.
ABOUT THE PROGRAMMING
Thanks to funding from World Rugby and Rugby Canada, this programming will aim to bring a new, fun, and safe sport into Physical Education classes and introduce students to a sport that is offered by local BC Rugby Member Clubs.
The goal of the programming is to create a pathway between the Schools and Clubs, which will help young students take Rugby beyond their PE classes to a local Rugby Club, where they can enjoy regular fun and games with friends.
How Will Programming Work?
Qualified NCCP Level 1 Coaches, with a direct link to a local BC Rugby Club, will deliver non-contact Rookie Rugby programming in local elementary schools for a pre-determined time either in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023. Programming will last between 4-8 weeks.
The Coaches will also work alongside their local Rugby Clubs to run Try Rugby Days to encourage students to register and join the Club’s Fall or Spring U14 programs.
HOW TO APPLY
BC elementary and middle schools are encouraged to complete the online application form here and BC Rugby will be in touch when it has reviewed the application.
Schools must meet the criteria by providing the following support:
- Access to a minimum of four consecutive weeks to the same group of students
- Access to a gymnasium or sport field that provides a safe surface for non-contact ball sport
- Letter of support from local Rugby Club affiliated with BC Rugby
- Permit students to attend mini-tournament hosted by local Rugby Club (ideally during school hours)
The letter of support from a local Rugby Club affiliated with BC Rugby must include:
- Name of Rugby Club
- Main contact person for Rugby Club who can answer questions regarding their support
- A list of available programming the Club currently offers, or intends to offer to support players who wish to join their Club
- Any other relevant information
It must be noted that schools will not receive any direct funds and that all relevant expenses will be covered by BC Rugby.
Any questions about this funding or the application can be directed to BC Rugby Director of Community Rugby, Sam Crawford, at email@example.com
Applications must be received by midnight on Wednesday, June 15, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.