Aboriginal Coaching Module – Pacific Sport Fraser Valley
The professional development of Aboriginal coaches through NCCP certification has been identified by the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC) as a national priority. In order to educate and promote the value of the NCCP and to establish meaningful participation of Aboriginal peoples in this national program, the ASC embarked on a multi-year process to develop supplemental training material for Aboriginal coaches taking NCCP workshops. The result of this process is the Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM), which responds to the need for a national training curriculum with content that reflects the uniqueness of Aboriginal cultures, values, and lifestyles.
The ACM is a professional development training tool for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches who coach Aboriginal athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP. The material in the ACM has been developed to meet the following objectives:
– Provide culturally relevant training workshops to Aboriginal coaches and community sport leaders;
– Elevate the capacity of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches to coach Aboriginal athletes;
– Improve the quality of the sport experience for Aboriginal athletes;
– Improve the coach’s understanding of, and ability to apply, Aboriginal culture to sport and to coaching techniques and tactics;
– Allow Aboriginal communities greater accessibility to the NCCP;
– Increase the number of NCCP certified Aboriginal coaches;
– Make the wisdom of Aboriginal culture available to both Aboriginal and mainstream sport.
Date: Saturday, September 17, 2022
Venue: Langley Events Centre
Time: 9:00am-5:00pm PT